Are miracles only religious/supernatural? What is their history?

Ha I am having a very similar conversation with a young man claiming “millions of proofs” , will not answer questions about slavery, finally admitted that he thought homosexuals should be executed and women were “equal, but different” .

He reneged on the gay hate when I threatened to report him for hate speech.

Now he is praying for me and my wilful ignorance that doesn’t see the “millions of proofs” he has provided.

2 Likes

“I came here for a battle of wits, but I see you have arrived unarmed.”

2 Likes

They love to exaggerate; then protest when we suggest that other believers might have exaggerated their miracle claims.

1 Like

Yeah my objections to the stridency of faith based assertions, is receiving a mixed reaction to put it mildly. :rofl: :innocent:

One of my favorite lines (from Buckley jr.)

“I don’t want to insult your intelligence by pretending you actually believe what you just said.”

4 Likes

Some people say it out of relief instead out of a silly belief.It’s like one of those times when you’ve been constipated for a week and you take laxative and then after you take a huge shit. You walk out of the bathroom and say “I shit. It’s a miracle!” lol

Awwww, Fuck! That won’t work. I have been praying for you since you first offered me a ride on your handlebars. You ole sick fuck! You are beyond prayer.

1 Like

You’re not doing it right mun, how many times, faith ffs. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :roll_eyes:

Those old insults! Ha! They always tell me that I am a low browed, knuckle dragging, hairy palmed, pigeon toed, relic from some bygone age. But when I am swinging from the trees with the sun in my face, I could really give a shit.

heres an example of this nut buckets style…sent to me 48 hours ago. "As Einstein said be a loner; wonder and holy curiosity and a life worth lived……… already at 34; my entire life and story; Cosmic Religious Feeling as he said……… talking about Psalms or St Francis of Assisi………. As Newton, Einstein and Hawking said they wanted to know Gods mind and all the rest is trivial; mostly Einstein……… Guess what, Alan? I know Gods mind……… Gods brain; our brain and the universes brain are all the same……… It is a proven fact that the brain and the universe, the two most complex things in existence are remarkably similarly structured in its systems and what is arranged in its ‘empty spaces’……. I have already explained this……… Einstein also said There are two things infinite: the universe and human stupidity……. I’M SURE ABOUT BOTH……… AND YOUR STUPIDITY…………….

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth………… Prophecy……… There are three trillion trees on one planet, Earth, in one galaxy alone, The Milky Way; more than the stars or planets or adding them; more than the Suns in the Andromeda Galaxy totalling 1 Trillion and more than the galaxies in the observable universe. Consider the leaves on one; the supercapacitor design came out of the leaf; the essence that keeps the trees alive day and night; one trees leaves per three trillion. Our universe, multiverses, infinity………. Now consider the magnificence and immensity of the Creator and his begotten Yeshua Hamashiach. God needed a scientific, mathematical, SUPERNATURAL, engineering, super initiative/rational/creative mind combined to create the universe(s), earth and our heaven, man and woman in his image, myriad life forms and especially our DNA/ribosomes/brain which are forms of irreducible complexity which is the greatest threat to evolutionary theory: a theory as such.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God and the Word was God……. Prophecy……….

Look how ‘creative’ God is: HE MADE ME!!! One of Gods most unique creations and masterpieces……… I am because of I am……… Phillipians 2:5-8 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus: who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

I cant make head nor tail of his bs but it is entertaining to wind him up every other day and watch him bash his little tin cymbals…

1 Like

On another forum I participate in, there are certain subforums and threads where different flavours of Jesus-fanboys crash together in a virtual war of bible-quoting (catholic vs. protestant, JW vs everybody, and vice versa), whereby they constantly try to one-up each other by quoting more and more obscure parts of the Bible, believing they are valid arguments to solve disagreements in the real world. It can be entertaining for the first dozen or so exchanges, but after that it just becomes boring, and it starts to eat away at my brain. So I tend to stay away from those threads.

1 Like

Yes, yes, yes… a proved fact. Of course! Of course, we could do with a few less empty spaces. Perhaps if this guy went away, the vacuum would be filled in. Nature, after all, abhors a vacuum.

He certainly has me convinced of one of them. I’m curious? Why quote Einstein? Does he really think the man is nodding his head in agreement? “Yep son! You got it. You are the only one who understands me.” Has the dweeb ever had an original thought?

Oh for fuck sake - demonstrate this god thing!

Is there really a point having a conversation with an insect whose understanding of the world is still trapped in the bronze age?

I gave my niece shrimp last night for supper…she loved it!!! I told her that Bible god has eating shrimp :fried_shrimp: and bacon :bacon: as sins.

I told her that as soon as I get the ants :ant: in the front years to worship me (on any level) I’m going to give them dietary restrictions.

They are not exclusively the stuff of religious or supernatural events.

They occur in Comic Books too!

MiracleMan, by Alan Moore, is one of the best uses of the miraculous ever!

Why would I define it? I have never seen anyone offer a reasonalbe definition beyond, “A miracle is something I can not explain.”

It’s actually defined in a way that negates explanation. The definition of a miracle is an argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy.

An extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.

God of the gaps anyone…

3 Likes

Miracles do happen. More and more religious people turn into atheists every day. Thank goodness.

1 Like