Are atheists "happy"?

Christians like him will always feel threatened of those who will never share their beliefs.

What! I’m quite sure that many people have found happiness in a glass or rather in the contents of the glass. I thought, “half full” implied that the glass was merely a vessel and the contents of the glass was what matters. A full bodied Cab Franc or a smooth Syrah can put a smile on my face. While some people who don’t like a good red but drink only whites, will when presented with an excellent red, look longingly at the unopened white. They will wonder why their glass never has any of that pinot gris or chardonnay. But of course its not the glass or the wine that brings us happiness it the delight we get when after a good swirl of the glass those earthy scents hit our nose.

Some Dr. Pepper on ice is good enough for me. That, or Canada Dry Ginger Ale on ice.

Wow After having listened to Babel’s Gate and Soul Catcher by SepticFlesh I would have assumed you would have favored day old Scotch straight from the barrel. :innocent:

1 Like

Nope: You have a glass in front of you and I have a glass in front of me. You tell me there is happiness in the glass and I don’t see it. Demonstrate there is happiness in the glass.

The contents of the glass do not matter at all. "Your thoughts about the content of the class are what matters. Perception is everything.

No it can’t. There is nothing about a smooth Syrah or a Cab Franc that can put a smile on your face. Nothing. There is only your way of thinking about smooth Syrah or Cab Franc that puts a smile on your face. Your thoughts and your associations are what put a smile on your face.

Your thoughts about the contents of the glass are everything: To the uncultured pallet, like my own, it’s all piss water and I would rather have a cup of coffee. Still, there are those people who think…

“While some people who don’t like a good red but drink only whites, will when presented with an excellent red, look longingly at the unopened white. They will wonder why their glass never has any of that pinot gris or chardonnay. But of course, it’s not the glass or the wine that brings us happiness it the delight I get when after a good swirl of the glass those earthy scents hit *MY nose.”

I fixed it for you…

Hallelujah, brother! And AMEN! (But you forgot the, “Praise the Lord!”) :joy:

Hello! My supra-consciousness is for no reason at all despite attempts to make me otherwise from the outside world.

Happiness is subjective what might make me happy might make you sad.

Well duh of course what I perceive is happiness you may or not.

Or did I get there on my own? Although I appreciate the care and attention you pay my posts. :wink: Seriously

Nope, I’ve never consumed alcohol.

Thoughts are subjective and things are things.

You don’t perceive happiness out there in things. If you perceive it at all it is within yourself. You perceive it through self-observation and attribute it to something outside of yourself.

No, your communication was not even close.'We knew that by the language used.,"

Who are you talking to?

What are you talking about?

Use the quote or reply function please, etc etc etc…

Not sure what you mean with this since we are talking about emotions not thoughts or things. Emotions like happiness are subjective in that what generates happiness in one person might not in another. To be clear I am using “generate” as a stimuli. A smile from a lover or the stink eye from that same person are likely to generate different emotions. I never meant to imply that happiness was in the glass or the wine but together they could generate an emotional response.

I hope @Cognostic that you aren’t going to be one of those monkeys that sit in a tree scanning the surrounding jungle for nits to pick. :grinning:

I think you are missing @Cognostic‘s point.
Emotions are generated in your brain.
The way you respond is entirely subjective.
Things only possess power we grant to them. One can develop the ability to be neutral or non-reactive to things which others respond to.
To repeat:
Things are things and any emotion you associate with a thing is a result of brain states facilitated by prior knowledge, experience, expectations, etc…
And yes, birds pick nits too…:bird:

1 Like

LOL What generates happiness are your thoughts about the world around you. Change your thinking and you change your world. The world is just there and then you get to react to it with your thoughts and emotions. Your" thoughts and “your”* emotions.

To be clear, the “Stimuli” is in your own brain and not in the world around you.

A smile from a lover generates something or nothing (a stimulus) depending on your thoughts about that lover. (That same smile could generate loathing if you knew she was cheating on you.) At no point does another person have the power to generate emotion in you. Your response is always a choice. The “choice” may be conscious or unconscious. If you are unaware of the choices you make, you might want to begin some “mindfulness” activities.

A — There is an activating event. C = A consequence or response to that event. This is the way you are expressing your perception of emotions. It is incorrect.

A – There is an activating event. A lover smiles at you. B – You have a belief about that smile. C – A consequence is your response to your belief and not to the smile. The smile itself could be deceptive. You have no clue what is going on in the mind of the other person. You just make assumptions. “I think the smile means she likes me.” This may or may not be true. You have no way of ever knowing. You can’t even know if the words “I love you” accompany the smile. You can not KNOW. You can choose to trust your best intuition, but you can not know. Your emotions are a response to your thoughts about the situation.

Look at what you wrote. (Happiness is not in the glass but the glass generates happiness.) HUH?
No. The glass does not generate an emotional response. You have an emotional response to it based on your beliefs. I have an emotional response or have no response, based on my beliefs. I would reject the glass in favor of a good cup of coffee. I have no positive associations with glasses of red wine

1 Like

Sorry to be such a dim wit - perhaps I have been retired too long but thank you @Cognostic and @skriten for picking my nits till I understood how what I was saying was missing the agency I have in how I react. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy By changing how I think about something I can change how I behave. Thank you.

2 Likes

I forget at times as well. It is so easy to get caught up in bullshit and believe the jibberish my own mind tells me. We all do it.

2 Likes

In other words, don’t believe everything you think, right?

I don’t know what to believe… I have a monkey mind. It jumps here and there and I barely have the ability to sit calmly and watch its antics.

In other words, to believe your own propaganda. Or: to lie so convincingly that you believe it yourself.

1 Like

They should be happy for no reason other than to cause other people to laugh in the process like a ripple effect of laughter!